VISA CARDS FOR 11 YR OLDS!!!

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

VISA CARDS FOR 11 YR OLDS!!!

Postby curly-cherry » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:41 pm

WHAT THE HELL!!! i hate the idea of 11 years olds having a visa card to be able to buy stuff over the internet on it and do everything an 18 year olds can do with a credit card!!! HATE IT argue plz :P
curly-cherry
Beginner

Re: VISA CARDS FOR 11 YR OLDS!!!

Postby Johngo4 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 am

Right, I'm under 18and I completely agree with you. I find it difficult to control my spending, in fact, the only way I can is by semi purposefuly losing my EFTPOS for a few weeks. If I had a visa... All I can say is I'm glad my parents don't give me to much pocket money. We don't have fully developed judgement centres, so we're physically incapable of using money properly
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby suicide_turtle » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Insanity I say! (That is if the VISA in question is of the extended credit variety and not the debit variety)
A debit VISA would certainly curtail the spending and make it fairly easy for the parents to dole out an allowance if the kid scrubs the kitchen floor with q-tips or toothbrush.

However a credit version teaches the kid a great lesson on how to follow in the parents footsteps : get jacked up in financial debt early in life with no hope for recovery.
suicide_turtle
Beginner

Postby damostat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:37 am

What? Visa cards for 11 year olds? How stupid can you be?! An 11 year old's natural response is SPEND SPEND SPEND! Just pocket money will do thankyou! And besides, isn't (and if not, why isn't) owning a credit card under 18 years illegal?
damostat
Beginner

Postby suicide_turtle » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:59 pm

damostat wrote:What? Visa cards for 11 year olds? How stupid can you be?! An 11 year old's natural response is SPEND SPEND SPEND! Just pocket money will do thankyou! And besides, isn't (and if not, why isn't) owning a credit card under 18 years illegal?

It isn't illegal in most of U.S.
Credit lenders will extened credit to parents who sign for a childs card.
Pretty dumb thing for a parent to do...
suicide_turtle
Beginner

Return to Other debates