EDU-BLOODY-CATION

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

EDU-BLOODY-CATION

Postby curly-cherry » Sun May 04, 2008 4:32 pm

i find it funny how politicians are always saying "oh yes send your child to college/university and they will have a fine life with everything they need" FIRSTLY if that is the case then why the hell do they charge OBSENE amounts of money to go to university..forcing 18 yr olds to do jobs they dnt wanna do just to get them through uni....SECONDLY if education is soo damn inportant why do they insist on knocking down libraries and SCHOOLS and replacing them with housing estates for people who are coming over to this country nd taking advantage of the state benefit system.....education is important in my opinion but i have to ask WHAT INCENTIVE do young people have to go to school/college/uni when people just come into this country sit on there asses and get PAID to do so....why should young people put themselves through the STRESS and HARD WORK when they could not bother and just sit on there ass and get paid money????? SOMEONE ANSWER THAT!!!!!!!!
curly-cherry
Beginner

Re: EDU-BLOODY-CATION

Postby aceofspades » Sat May 10, 2008 11:00 am

So why do you view education as important if you can just sit around and get given money for nothing?
It is my opinion that an un-educated life is only half a life. It doesnt have to be a school/college/university education but you should always be learning, improving yourself and working for something. Sitting on your arse and getting paid for nothing may sound fun at first but Im pretty sure that it would turn out to be the dullest most tedious waste of a life imaginable. Some people seem to think that the point of life is to do as little as possible for as much money as possible, these are the people who will say 'why should i bother working when i can get money off the government for nothing?', who will never do anything useful, interesting or excting and who will waste their only time on this planet and be forgotten the instant they are gone.

Dont envy that life, it is every bit as depressing as it sounds. Educate yourself so you can do better.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Sat May 10, 2008 9:10 pm

i wasnt for one moment saying that its a good idea to sit on your arse doing nothing and getting money off the government...i was saying that there is no incentive for people to go into education because of the stupid doll system....i enjoy education and intend on carrrying it on for as long a possible and getting a job i enjoy whether or not its gonna make me a millionaire....i just dont think the government seem to understand that the more they give the less they will get back.
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby madworld » Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 pm

I just have one question... whats the stupid doll system???

Also @ aceofspades - try getting down off your intellectual high ground once in a while. Some people dont have chance to spend their lives improving themselves and gazing in wonder at the beauty of the world around them or whatever bullshit you're spouting. Some people WORK for a living. Some people have to do the tedious menial jobs day after day and will be forgotten the instant they are gone because thats the only way they can survive.
madworld
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 pm

the doll system is where if your unemployed the government give u money every week or month and help you find a job if u want one. and beleive me its more than ppl think
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby suicide_turtle » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:02 am

madworld wrote:I just have one question... whats the stupid doll system???

Also @ aceofspades - try getting down off your intellectual high ground once in a while. Some people dont have chance to spend their lives improving themselves and gazing in wonder at the beauty of the world around them or whatever bullshit you're spouting. Some people WORK for a living. Some people have to do the tedious menial jobs day after day and will be forgotten the instant they are gone because thats the only way they can survive.

I agree ace scores a big fat zero in the reality department and should look in the mirror to clean the arrogance from his face (provided ace is actually a 'he'). I've read several of his other posts and think ace needs to put the hash pipe away for a few months. Check please! He does make a good point though.

I disagree with the statement that "Some people have to do the tedious menial jobs day after day ..."
That is a load of crap. Life is what you make of it. I got tired of doing menial work and educated myself into a different life.
I now am an upstanding upper middle class moron.
suicide_turtle
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 am

Well, there always needs to be someone doing the menial jobs, otherwise the economy would collapse we'd all starve. Also, there are many people who don't have access to education for whatever reasons, and what are they meant to do? There are other ways of improving your life apart from education. And someone please please argue with me. This sites been inactive for days.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 pm

I would never refer to any job as menial. If it needs to be done it is important. We all can't save lives on a daily basis or fly to Mars or discover a cure for stupidity but where would we be if these jobs were not getting done? It also comes down to a matter of personal happiness. If a person is happy doing what others may view as menial and it provides a standard of living with which that person is happy...I would hardly call it menial. As far as the people who are "in the system" goes; well some are there from no fault of their own and some even make it out and carry on as productive citizens. It's the system abusers that I am disgusted by, but for as long as any system exists there will be abusers. Also, education does not necessarily mean a university degree. Education is all about learning and training...trade schools and community colleges are education. It wasn't that long ago that it was a big deal to graduate high school! Don't give up on education because it looks like someone else is living free and easy. I would think that to be able bodied and minded yet sit on your arse day in, day out would with your hand out would be a very stagnant existance. Of course, I am speaking of the system abusers. I would also be shocked to see an inground swimming pool in their yard, a new Cadillac in the drive or meet them vacationing in Europe. Most people educate themselves, to some degree, on a daily basis. I am constantly updating my knowledge and abilities for work (some day I may even get good at it :lol: )...keeping current with what's going on politically in your town or in your country is education...travelling to a place you've never been and learning something is education...get my drift?
C'mon
Beginner

Postby nunya » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 am

Personally, I think that anything involving free money will always be abused. It's up to us to let our voices be heard because that's the only way change will come. (I guess you could write to the Representative from your local Congressional District :? )

The welfare system was designed with good intentions and I do believe that some people truly need it. However, we do live in a messed up world where people don't usually consider how their choices affect others.

If a person is happy doing what others may view as menial and it provides a standard of living with which that person is happy...I would hardly call it menial.

:?: Ok, so let's compare two jobs. Let's say you can be a construction worker... (Depends on your location) You have to work in conditions around 100 degrees in the summer and around 40 degrees in the winter. Depending on what job you do, you have to be able to lift objects that weigh over 100 lbs. There's always a risk of serious injury or death. Sometimes you have to be able to operate heavy machinery. OR you can be a restaurant critic........... (Can't even describe this job because the whole description is in the title) I don't know about you but if they were both considered menial then I'd prefer the latter.

SECONDLY if education is soo damn inportant why do they insist on knocking down libraries and SCHOOLS and replacing them with housing estates for people who are coming over to this country nd taking advantage of the state benefit system

I'm a immigrant and I assure you that my family has never taken advantage of any state system. My Mom and Dad work very tough jobs and we have never had any assistance from the government other than health care. It wasn't necessary for you to generalize that all immigrants are the problem.

Not to point a finger but I have met many Russian immigrants who abuse the system. Just as an example, this elderly lady that my mom cares for, keeps receiving medical supplies (I'm not absolutely sure the contents of the supplies but I do know that it's for diabetes, maybe insulin syringes) which she doesn't need. The diagnosis comes from Russian doctors who tell her that if she would refuse the service now, there might be difficulty acquiring it in the future when she really does need it. So this lady she keeps throwing out perfectly good supplies. It makes me sick to know that millions of people die because they can't get insulin while this lady she keeps throwing them away.
Last edited by nunya on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nunya
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:33 am

You see, the thing is, if Immigrants don't take jobs, people complain that they are abusing the system and exploiting tax payer money. If they do take jobs, they complain of immigrants taking jobs from locals. In short, people don't like immigrants. Thats the fact of the matter. No matter how desperate they are, how awful the places they come from have been, Nations as a whole want to send them back. Look at the holocaust, America and England shut off their borders to the Jews trapped in Europe. They could've saved millions, but they ignored them untill after the war had been fought. The same thing has happened again and again throughout history. Oh, and on the topic of the Holocaust are any of you Holocaust deniers?
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby thewilly » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm

damn straight!!!!

im in the education sytem at the moment...... and i have no money!!!

what incentive do i have to go to uni? debt debt and more debt thats what!
thewilly
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 am

So "thewilly" what is your plan if you don't go to university? Not sayin' that I think you should or shouldn't but a plan is a good idea. I can't have a very good grasp on the meaning of menial. Honestly, I just don't like the word. I find it offensive because if someone is doing a job obviously it needs done and they are actually doing something. If you look the word up, though, it even provides an example..."domestic servant". Hmmmm. Certainly not saving the planet but I do know some people who couldn't live without their's. I find Nunya's examples somewhat humorous. A restaurant critic? :lol: And this would be your preferance? I would say that a restaurant critic is entirely unnecessary but (to me) menial doesn't seem to fit. Maybe a little too glamorous to be menial? :lol: A construction worker is hardly menial. Especially one who would be operating any heavy equipment. Do you think that just any clown off the school ground can jump into a machine and operate it? :lol: Can you imagine trying to exist without construction workers? Also, in my definition of "menial" low pay would be a qualifying factor. Have you any idea how much money construction workers make? Hell, even the restaurant critic that we can live without makes good money if he/she is any good. So with all of this I need to ask what your idea, Nunya, of a non-menial job/career/profession would be? What do you do or plan to do?
C'mon
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:37 am

Ooops! Almost forgot, the Halocaust did happen.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby nunya » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:09 am

I forgot to look up the word menial :roll: . I just assumed that you were trying to classify all jobs which provide a decent salary in the same category. Excuse the analogy :? . It's just that during the summer, I work for my dad, who's a contractor, and I just came back from work :) (I guess they do take some clown off school ground :wink: ). And yes, I do know how much construction workers get paid but they deserve every penny . :arrow: As for the restuarant critic, it wouldn't be a bad gig (hey, I torture my mom and she's a great cook), but it's not something I'd like to be known for. And as for jobs in general, I don't consider sitting in an office the whole day something that deserves to be called a job. And as for me, I'd like to some day call myself a pharmacist :wink: (haven't finished high school yet :? , wish me luck ).

As for denying the Holocaust, Germany saw it could be done when Turkey did it to the Armenians. The two previous presidents of America promised to acknowledge the slaughter before being brought to office. Unfortunately, Turkey holds important American bases, and has announced that it cannot guarantee the safety of those bases if America starts to acknowledge the genocide. So now whenever the president addresses the issue he quotes " the alleged genocide of Armenians." It's unfair because people are continually forced to remember the Holocaust while depriving all other major genocides of their equally deserved remembrance.

Here's a test ( please be honest)

Tell me if you have ever heard of the following:
Ukrainian forced famine
Darfur(ongoing)
Nanking
Croatia
Sikh
Rwanda
nunya
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:48 am

I'm glad you realize that the construction guys deserve their pay. I'm sure you also realize that if you weren't the boss's kid you wouldn't get on the machine. My son is in the same situation as you. :wink: I hope that you thank your Dad and do him proud...my son at least does the latter. :lol: He does want to take over the biz when the time is right. It's done all right by me so I know he'll do at least as well with it...he must think I'm doin' something right if he wants to continue in the biz so that's actually kinda nice. Good luck with pharmacy. I have a couple of friends who are pharmacists and they do quite well. It's a much needed profession.
There have been several "Halocausts" in history and they aren't done yet. It's the nature of the beast.
C'mon
Beginner

Next

Return to Other debates