Ban Cars

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

Ban Cars

Postby aceofspades » Thu May 01, 2008 8:10 pm

Well why not? Fucking things are destroying the planet, polluting everything, causing more deaths than all the drugs & murderers combined and making us all fat, lazy and pathetic. We still have legs for fucks sake! Walk places. Cycle. Get the damn bus. Its not rocket science! Clear all cars out of the towns & cities and we will all be able to walk or cycle around in the nice clean air and be all happy and healthy.
Look at the places where large areas of the town are pedestrianised.. The people are fitter, less obese, there is less crime and fewer deaths from accidents and illnesses caused by pollution*

*probably. Strictly speaking I havent actually checked this out but it must be true!
aceofspades
Beginner

Re: Ban Cars

Postby curly-cherry » Sun May 04, 2008 4:11 pm

firstly..i would like to know if u have a car...secondly what about all the elderly people or disabled people who rely on their relatives WITH CARS to do their shopping for them or take them out sumwhere nice...if we didnt have cars alot of elderly lonely people would have nothing and nobody and die alot sooner than they do....so getting rid of cars doesnt help anybody at the end of the day!
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Sat May 10, 2008 10:40 am

Yes I have a car, I know that makes me a hypocrite but I have no choice. I have to have a car because everyone else has one, its impossible to rely on public transport; walking or cycling through the town is about the most unnapealing prospect ever. I have to choose between being hit by a large fine for cycling on the pavement or being hit by an even larger lorry for cycling on the road..

Ban cars, replace the majority of roads with cycle paths, obviously some vehicles are still needed: buses, commercial vehicles etc. Old people can have their scooter things, its just not necessary for everyone to be encased in half a tonne of metal every time they decide to make a short journey.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Sun May 11, 2008 5:16 pm

ok but what about handicapped people who cant cycle and are restricted in a wheelchair? what about them?
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby madworld » Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Well I do agree with the sentiment of the original post but I think simply banning cars is firstly rather idealistic and secondly NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
Governments seem to get less and less inclined to go against public opinion as time goes on. Do you really think any government anywhere, ever, would tell people theyre no longer allowed to drive cars?! You'd have a civil war on your hands faster than you could say 'greenhouse gases'.
Besides, as Cherry mentioned some people do need cars whether you like it or not. The trick is to get all the people who dont actually need to drive out of their cars and onto bikes, public transport or good old fashioned legs!
madworld
Beginner

Postby Timmeh » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 pm

"have a look at the weather outside, go on do it.... done it? good

is it raining?

yes

Then we need more people in landrovers and jags driving around, I want my global warming to come and warm Britian up"
-Jeremy Clarkson

======

I rest my narrow minded case until Monday....

ps. i know its a dead thread but eh well
Timmeh
Beginner

Postby furyrider » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 pm

hmmmm, this isn't much of an argument because you havn't really got one. firstly, how many people around the world do you think work with cars, can you imagine the economicle dissaster it would cause to individuals and countries. and for companies or anyone who uses cars. we have become to dependant on them for them to be banned.

also, many people who are dissabled rely on cars as they can not walk or have some dissability preventing them from doing so. if cars were to be banned what other mode of transport would you propose??
furyrider
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:38 am

Two words:
Oil crisis
Though we don't give a damn about the enviroment, we do about our pocket books.
It's natural selection of a sort. We use cars to much, we use up the resources required to use them, and so we are forced to use them properly.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby dougie777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:46 am

This is a utopian ideal, an it would be great if it could happen, but will just plain never will :( .
dougie777
Beginner

Postby GreyWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 am

Let's say ban cars that work with benzine, gasoline etc., it will take some time but we can replace them with electric cars and hydrogen ones and some charriots, lol, sadly a lot of people earn a lot of money with petrolium commerce, people with power should all agree on a plan to replace fuel drived cars (fuel taht causes pollution) with those that don't cause pollution.
GreyWolf
Beginner

Return to Other debates