Why I believe this site won't work....

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

Why I believe this site won't work....

Postby Nycool2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:25 am

I believe that this site will not grow that much.
This is for the simple reason that people do not want
to be told or brought to a place of debate but to spark it themselves
in a place where it is not usually welcome.

What this site is doing is some sort of Psychology mistake.

I am on the other hand arguing with myself
by posting this.
Nycool2
Beginner

Postby bluefire427 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:16 pm

but arguing can be so much fun!
bluefire427
Beginner

Postby poncho62 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:50 pm

I disagree with the OP..........These sites can work...I have one that I just started 2 days ago....and is very active. It's a great place to let off steam.......

Only problem I see, is that I promised the guys/gals that it would be totally uncensored.........Being a free forum, I can't shut the langyage filter off, but they have gotten around that no problem.....LOL

It gets quite vulger at times, but we have some good topics good points made.

BTW......I will be arguing here too......................

http://soyouwanttoargue.activeboard.com/
poncho62
Beginner

Postby madworld » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm

I dont see why this sort of site wouldnt work, not every argument has to be unwelcome, it can be far more rewarding to find like-minded (or opposite-minded) people who welcome open debate, rather than trying to start an argument at home/work/while driving, with people who just want you to shut the fuck up! (no language censoring here :D )
madworld
Beginner

Re: Why I believe this site won't work....

Postby nunya » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 am

The only reasons that a site like this might not work:

1. no people
2. no advertising

I really like this site and to be honest I wouldn't like many people anyway. A smaller forum lets you know more about each member (that's if they're willing to do so) and it gives you a chance to find out what people think. Sometimes you even learn that you have been wrong all this time and you're willing to change because of that one person.

I haven't seen much arguing on this site nor have I seen a lot of talk, but I'll continue to try :wink: . This site doesn't need to be all about arguing anyway.
nunya
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 am

I like this site, because you have a lot of time to think about your arguments. It never descends to the level of flat out I'm rights, your wrongs (well, almost never...).
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby Gilgamesh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I used to hang around here back in the day before in its previous incarnation. The reason no one posts is because none of you can keep on topic. That's a pity.
Gilgamesh
Beginner

Postby nunya » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Well if everybody here is so pitiful then why don't you correct us :?: Whether or not we digress is no reason for your avoidance to post. And we do this mainly because we try to get to know one another and see how our background can effect our decision making for a particular matter.
nunya
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:08 am

Sorrrreeeeee! Gilligan or what ever your name is...we'll try to slow down so you can keep up. :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Digression is a very good reason not to post. There is little joy or benefit in making an argument only for a point to go unanswered, or worse for the dialogue to completely abandon the topic supposedly under discussion. Argument evolves and is refined through constant examination, repetition and criticism. That is far different from the flacid meandering that characterises much of these discussions, and that is why formal debates have rules.
Gilgamesh
Beginner

Postby nunya » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:57 pm

I don't know if you have noticed but this site has around three people that actually post. It's a developing forum and I can't say that things will happen quickly but it's still worth a shot. If the admin makes a couple of changes then it could survive, but until then I guess Gilgamesh is right. :wink:
nunya
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:13 am

What changes would those be? Or should I just piss on the fire and call in the dogs 'cause the hunt is over? :roll:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby nunya » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm

You can see that the site hasn't been updated for a very long time. The admin hasn't put any rules or new ideas which could help the site develop. It's all not very serious and we really have no reason to be. It's up to the person who runs this forum to control this site and help in any way possible. I'm not saying that we should quit. I simply wish that there could be a reason to continue.
nunya
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:45 am

I think what this site really needs is just some real-time (can't think of a better word) arguing, as in, with more than one person on an argument at a time. I know this is incredibly difficult seeing as there are about 5 People who post reguarly, and from a simalar number of time zones. But if we had some more people the site would work a lot better.

Also, we need a fundamentalist from at least a few of the major religions, including a fundamentalist atheist. We need a holocaust denier, a white supremacist, an enviromentalist and any other type of extremist you can think of. Everyone here is too moderate :? .

And another thing, half of those people you constantly see arguing over videos on youtube could easily argue here if we told them about this site.
Johngo4
Beginner

Return to Other debates