Regarding capital punishment

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

Re: Regarding capital punishment

Postby Johngo4 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 am

C'mon wrote:Yeah, killing them would definately be easier. More efficeint too. Bothered? Why should we be bothered? This isn't a first strike and you're out concept...I'm talking about serial offenders, repeaters. 100% guilty of vicious crimes against their fellow humans. Why the Hell would I "bother"? Kill 'em and let God sort it out...how's that for a plan? Lethal injection is far easier on them than the electric chair...yeah, they have some real fear and terror for a while before it happens and yeah, it hurts like crazy for the matter of seconds...so what? I have "looked it up"...I do know about it and understand it. Sick? Not really...I still say it's too good for them.These people deserve my compassion? Nope! Geez, all of the money spent to defend them in court and to study them and to care for them...what a collossal waste. Kill 'em and let it be seen so the next piece of crap that figures the life of a serial killer is what they want has it to think about.
I still haven't read an alternative so I assume that those who are disagreeing with me are satisfied with the way things are done now. A complete waste of money and effort in my opinion.

I think I see some of c'mons points here. This is the point where the two sides of this argument reach a stalemate, as it's based entirely around ethics and morals. You can't easily bring in actual evidence either way.

Personally, I'm a christian and a pacifist. Both doctrines abhor killing, and becuase of this I am against the death penalty. What happens with the death penalty, depending on the state, is going to be relavent to what the majority of the population believes. In Nz, it's roughly 50/50, but we haven't executed anyone since the 60's (And the executed, for the record, was proven inoccent.) In America, from the last stats I read, it's 70 for 30 against. But they want to make it possible to execute even small-time drug dealers, which I think is completely wrong.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:46 am

Small time dealers? Geez. Even for me that's too much. :shock: Make those thugs work in a really rough rehab for some of their sentence...they would have to clean puke and wipe asses of people messed up by their "products". They would have to sit up all night and help them through withdrawl and listen to their loved ones. That would be fitting wouldn't it?
The ones that I would fry or hang...or stone are the serial rapists and killers. Especially the mutilators, cannibals and ones that mess with children. The ones with no visible trace of humanity, conscience or remorse. Guilt would have to be absolute...after all, the sentence is.
I would get "Old Testament" with certain other types of offenders too. Certain thieves, for example, would lose a hand...and the second one if they came back through the system for the same reason. Also, to kill all sex offenders may be too harsh, so depending on the situation, certain "appendages" should maybe be removed. That chemical castration may be ok for first timers but come back again and it's off...with a ball peen hammer. No anaesthetic.
Sentences and punishments like this would drastically reduce crime I think. I suppose all of my ideas are too harsh...or inhumane? :roll:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 am

Except that in America (straying from both the point and my own country :? ) rehab is only a thing for celebrities. If you get caught posessing pot, even if someone shoved it in your hand as the cops were coming, no matter how small the amount, you can get up to 5 years (might be higher) Rehab only really exists for the priviliged, who the state seems to quietly ignore. So while some poor 16 yr old sod is soapilly raped in the prison showers because he has an idiot friend, the likes of paris hilton can stay in 5 star accomadation having other people deal with her problems, which she got herself into.

Hooray for democracy.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:05 pm

There are government detox facilities here. They are by no means 5 star, in fact they are underfunded. Instead of blowing money on a study of the reproduction of aliens or whatever other bullshot the government tends to do I'd like to see some funds sent to those places. I don't use drugs at all but sending someone to jail for possessing a couple of joints is ridiculous. Pot should be sold and regulated the same as booze.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:12 pm

This very second a program came on TV about a convicted killer called "The Iceman". His killing career started out as a hobby and then he became a gun for hire. He's claiming to have killed in excess of 200 people. He is claiming that the rush he receives from killing is almost sexual in nature. He thoroughly enjoys killing. He is in the pen giving an interview to a shrink for the cameras...he's bragging.
Do ya suppose this fella is a candidate for rehabilitation? After some careful therapy maybe he could be integrated back into society and contribute? :lol: Please! He shoulda been put down years ago, but there he is... housed, clothed, fed and healthy. Golly-gee-gosh that makes me feel humane.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby GreyWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am

Why most so called advanced, civilized ( i don't know how to call them right now) countries banned death sentence but not USA ?
I mean it is considered a "good" country, ok China has death sentence, Iran too, ohh that's bad China is Communist, Iran musslim, but what's USA excuse ?
With death sentence the country becomes guilty of the same crime that it wants to punish, plus statistics show that it is not a detherent agaibst crime, then again if a very bad criminal makes suffer a lot of people, why freeing him by killing him ? Its not better if he suffers too staying in prision in a harsh cell.
Death sentence is Abolished in Europe, Canada, Australia etc., even Ruissia , where is it present ?
It is present in countries like China, India, Iran, Iraq and pratically the whole middle east and in most of african countries etc., and... surprise USA.

Look here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_cap ... _by_nation
GreyWolf
Beginner

Postby dougie777 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 am

I think that on a scale of punishments, the top is life with out parole, then just a little better is the death sentence. If anything, life w/o parole is much less humane. Imagine living in a cell for 60-odd years or so waiting to die, eating cruddy food and trying not to go insane. Sounds worse to me than a quick end.
dougie777
Beginner

Previous

Return to Other debates