Regarding capital punishment

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

Regarding capital punishment

Postby leegao » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:37 am

September 2007 LD topic

Resolved: A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment.
leegao
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:00 am

Well for certain crimes with unquestionable proof I think it's the way to go. In fact, I think that lethal injection is too easy for some of that garbage. If anybody did anything to a loved one of mine it woud bring out the Old Testament in me. They'd be beggin' for the cops. Public stoning, flogging and hanging would be the correct approach for some.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:03 am

I used to hear the old guys say that a rapist if caught by the public would have his scrotem nailed to a stump and then he would be pushed backward. They said that this was actually done around here not as long ago as you would think. It sounds right to me too.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:22 am

Albert Enstein said that he was not against capital punishment because of the punishment... but because of the irreversibility of such an action. People have spent upwards of twenty years in prison for murder and then had their case overturned. Sooner or later we will actually kill someone who is later found to be innocent.
I'm certain that innocent people have died under capital punishment in the United States.

You tell your child that hitting is bad... so you hit them for punishment...
Mike
Beginner

Postby Dateeno » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 pm

I Agree in that for some crimes capital punishment is just, however you are relating back to the times when "people" drowned women and if they lived they were witches.....

Mike made an excellent point, people get jailed for life or "punished" and after their punishment or during their punishment it is found that they are innocent, in the case that they are put to death... its a little late to release them now isnt it?

In Texas Capital Punishment is still in act, and i have heard that piracy in britain also calls the death penalty, i'm not sure in this but i have heard this.

I only beleive in Capital Punishment for some crimes such as: Murder & Rape.

the saying "An eye for an eye" comes into play for me, but also for Rape i beleive the death penalty is required. Rape can ruin womens lifes for ever, also it can bring an un-wanted baby into this world. How would that woman feel having a baby to the person who raped them? i know they "could" get an abortion but not all woman beleive in this.
Dateeno
Beginner

Postby xxelfen_liedxx » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:19 pm

C'mon wrote:I used to hear the old guys say that a rapist if caught by the public would have his scrotem nailed to a stump and then he would be pushed backward. They said that this was actually done around here not as long ago as you would think. It sounds right to me too.

i agree with that
my new site check it out yes you can argue www.takeforum.com/darkfun
xxelfen_liedxx
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:44 am

Mike said that we tell our children not to hit and then hit them for punishment. That is an entirely different discussion. That would be "corperal punishment" and we are discussing "capital punishment". Totally different.
A point was stated regarding wrongful conviction...good point. Before capital punishment were exercised undeniable evidense would have to be established. There really is no room for error with this one. I believe that in Texas if there are 3 or more credible eyewitnesses to the crime the offender is put in the express lane to the chair (so to speak). I also agree with this practice because it really chaps my ass when I think of all the money spent to house the people found unsuitable for society. The violent and tragic crimes that we have mentioned not only affect the victims but everyone in their lives and those in the lives of the offenders as well. Oh yes, these humans need to be exterminated and not in the humane fashion that the system has watered it down to. 8)
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Dateeno » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 am

I can only agree, having the death penalty will do nothing but lower these crimes, if knew you were gonna get the chair if you raped someone would you?? might be the wrong person to ask seen as i HOPE everyone here would never rape another human no matter what the circumstances but if you see my point :D

There would have to be Undeniable evidence in this case though, which in alot of cases there is barely enough evidence to send them to jail nevermind to death.
Dateeno
Beginner

Re: Regarding capital punishment

Postby kevinp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 am

in todays society,technology has advanced so much,with DNA for example someone who has committed the most horrendous murder and that persons DNA was found at the scene should be enough to sign his/her own death warrant,then there is no mistake about false imprisonment,there is no excuse for cases like rape,child abuse etc,why should the tax payers keep them alive in a comfy prison.
kevinp
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:46 am

'Zactly! So let's get on with it shall we? I've got a list... :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby suicide_turtle » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:56 am

leegao wrote:September 2007 LD topic

Resolved: A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment.

That really depends on what definition of just you abide by.
My definition says a just society will kill a rapist/murderer to stop them from doing it again...Which if allowed to they will. :!:
suicide_turtle
Beginner

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:29 am

Hmm, a system entirely built on another religious factor. Well that's a little unfair, pricks started it too. When you ultimately look at it, the reason for the death penalty is as a deterrent. It never is. Look at the crime rates in texas, compared to other states without the penalty. It's higher. You'll also notice that they have been higher since it first started. I'm not kidding, look it up. The reason it will never be a deterrent is because murder (or rape) happens for 3 distinct reasons.
1. Compassion.
Compassion is when a loved one or someone really gets on your nerves or you have found them cheating on you. So yes, you kill them.
2. Currancy
Usually people involved in gangs or the mafia who think they can get away with whatever they do.
3. Compulsion
The worst of the lot. These crimes are a mental status in which the person just feels he can kill someone because he can get away with it or for a challenge or just for fun

None of these can be deterred - not even by death.
damostat
Beginner

Postby suicide_turtle » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:14 am

damostat wrote:Hmm, a system entirely built on another religious factor. Well that's a little unfair, pricks started it too. When you ultimately look at it, the reason for the death penalty is as a deterrent. It never is. Look at the crime rates in texas, compared to other states without the penalty. It's higher. You'll also notice that they have been higher since it first started. I'm not kidding, look it up. The reason it will never be a deterrent is because murder (or rape) happens for 3 distinct reasons.

I'm amazed at how you can be so naieve and simple. The death penalty is NOT a deterrant.
If it were a deterrant it would work as such. The death penalty is a solution to keeping murderers from continuing to murder.
I suppose you would like us to just pat them on the bottom and keep giving them timeouts until they behave.
Doesn't work. The only way to stop someone from murdering twice is to take away the ability to do so permanantly.
Don't bother saying keeping them locked up will do that because it doesn't. They kill and rape people that are locked up alongside them.
Maybe we could do as the Arabs have done for centuries and just chop off their hands. How about that? Oh wait that is a little severe huh?

Are you a vegetarian?
suicide_turtle
Beginner

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:55 am

suicide_turtle wrote:
damostat wrote:Hmm, a system entirely built on another religious factor. Well that's a little unfair, pricks started it too. When you ultimately look at it, the reason for the death penalty is as a deterrent. It never is. Look at the crime rates in texas, compared to other states without the penalty. It's higher. You'll also notice that they have been higher since it first started. I'm not kidding, look it up. The reason it will never be a deterrent is because murder (or rape) happens for 3 distinct reasons.

I'm amazed at how you can be so naieve and simple. The death penalty is NOT a deterrant.
If it were a deterrant it would work as such. The death penalty is a solution to keeping murderers from continuing to murder.
I suppose you would like us to just pat them on the bottom and keep giving them timeouts until they behave.
Doesn't work. The only way to stop someone from murdering twice is to take away the ability to do so permanantly.
Don't bother saying keeping them locked up will do that because it doesn't. They kill and rape people that are locked up alongside them.
Maybe we could do as the Arabs have done for centuries and just chop off their hands. How about that? Oh wait that is a little severe huh?

Are you a vegetarian?

Okay, you're really not paying attention to what I'm saying in the very arguments you are part of (see the prison argument). You're right, the death penalty is NOT a deterrent but that's what I said in the fucking first place. Read my post again asshole. You have basically backed up my points but with the reverse claims. Yes it is true, they should not murder again but to kill them because they have killed? It creates an ugly cycle in which the whole country end up murderers. And what does me being a vegetarian have anything to do with killing a human being? I'm not a cannibal you idiot. I'm not a hippy, pot smoking motherfucker either. I'm just someone who validates the claim that: IT IS NEVER MORALLY RIGHT TO KILL A HUMAN BEING!
damostat
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:50 pm

If someone murders someone else then they deserve to be killed aswell..its only fair. IF there is absolutley NO DOUBT at all that they have commited the murder..however if theyre is a chance that they havent comitted it then putting them in prison until it IS proven is also only fair.
curly-cherry
Beginner

Next

Return to Other debates