First cousin marriages and the like

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

First cousin marriages and the like

Postby tudodude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Whilst living in Saudi a few years ago I became amazed how closely related some marriages were. I was hanging out a lot with an Egyptian Doctor (Hamid) who told me about a shocking number of kids born with birth defects in Saudi due to close relatives having kids.
I asked him if it could be possible that a high number could have mental as appose to physical defects. He said for certain but such a paper could never be published as it would have a easily played with message.
I asked him because I was stunned repeatedly at how slow my Saudi work mates were to learn and retain new information. Easy stuff too.

So I ask you. If close relatives having kids increases the chance of birth defects, could a number of those be born with mental and not physical birth defects which would only be picked up in later life as the person required more aptitude or practical ,concious imformation processing ability.

Discuss
tudodude
Beginner

Re: First cousin marriages and the like

Postby Pau Diaz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:26 am

I spent the first six years of my life in the Channel Island of Gurnsey. My mother told me that the locals tended to have intelligence or motor coordination problems. A high level of inbreeding had made the psychological profile of the dwellers lower and the risk of defects high. I was too young to experience this at the time, but logic suggests we avoid intermixing blood at all costs to maintain a healthy human race.
I experience all of life´s sensations. Positive, negative, they are all the same to me and I explore them to their fullest.
Pau Diaz
Beginner

Postby gitghetto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 am

In short, yes.

Mental birth defects, while much less likely that physical birth defects, are possible and, more likely than not, would be found later on in life as opposed to at birth or soon after birth. These defects could present themselves at any age, ranging from very young (3 or 4) to late adolescence (19 or 20).

It's anyones guess as to how severe these defects may be, although I would suppose that they would be small, such as a slight disability in some sort of motor skill. (Walking strange, that sort of thing)
Troll 1 - Rawr rawr rawr!
Troll 2 - Rawr rawr rawr rawr!
Only person on forum with IQ > 90 - Roar.
Troll 1 & Troll 2 - *whimper*
gitghetto
Beginner

Postby Pau Diaz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 am

One solution to the problem is this: mingle with society more and find a mate within. Family is important as a support arm, but not as a breeding ground. If we are to maintain the demography, we must make the blood as thick and varied as possible. America understands this and so does Japan.
I experience all of life´s sensations. Positive, negative, they are all the same to me and I explore them to their fullest.
Pau Diaz
Beginner

Return to Other debates