Best books of all time!

Argue about anything under the sun, or over it or in it...

Best books of all time!

Postby theshoalinstyle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 am

I am eighteen, and I love to read. Sadly, throughout high school I mostly just read what I was required to read. In middle school I read Harry Potter, The Series Of Unfortunate Events and a lot of Stephen King (which I think may have permanently scarred me). His books are not just terrifying novels, they are actually great adventurous stories as well. Of his books I read: Salem's Lot, Cujo, Misery, Carrie, The Pet Cemetery, and my favorite of his, Desperation. Desperation and Salem's Lot will scare you far more than any movie will, but they are awesome. I never got around to reading The Stand, but one day I will. Maybe I'll read The Shining too. Out of my required High School reading my favorites were Of Mice and Men and Clockwork Orange. Now that I've graduated, I have really wanted to start reading again. I recently finish James Clavell's "Shogun", and it was the best book I've read yet. I am about to be finished with "Into The Wild", which is amazing. I have a few books lined up to read next: "Perks of Being A Wallflower" , "War and Peace" , and "House of Leaves" . As you can see, I like all kinds of novels.

I'm looking for any suggestions as to what I should read next. Give me a list of your favorite books, and If you've read any of the books I listed let me know what you think about them.
theshoalinstyle
Beginner

Re: Best books of all time!

Postby Rawness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 pm

I would skip War and peace for now. Tolstoy = you'll probably want alot more reading for that one.
Perks of being a wallflower... good book, but read "Catcher in the rye", most of the style is based on that. Didn't like the conclusion of Perks though. I recommend hearing The Smiths - Asleep before reading the book, or maybe after I dunno.

I would recommend you to read the following:
Bukowski: Ham and rye. Just watch him lay those lines...
Harukami, after the quake. I like the stories simply, never got in to "The wind-up bird chronicle", but it's supposedly good
Next, I'd read the first book of, a song of fire and ice, RR martin. One of the greatest fantasy novels I've read, best characters, will open new doors of seeing things I suppose, what he does is just grand.
Read the old man and the sea... A farewell to arms must be read fully.
I'd throw myself after a Brave new world if you liked "A clockwork orange"

Candide is nice too, if you want to see Voltaires rejection of... everything.

I'll stop here. Would go on forever.
Rawness
Beginner

Re: Best books of all time!

Postby theshoalinstyle » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 am

First of all, thanks for replying and I will be sure to read some of the books suggested (perhaps all if I like your taste, but I can already tell I will). I have read Catcher in the Rye and I don't know how i forgot to mention that in my favorite high school texts, I also forgot to mention The Hobbit (but that was middle school). Since my post I've finished Perks and Into the Wild, plus a couple of others. I agree Perks of Being a Wallflower was a lot like a Catcher in the Rye, and I love both. I know A Catcher in the Rye is a timeless classic, but I actually preferred Perks of Being a Wallflower. I listened to that song by the Smiths, as well as every song he listed in the book, that I didn't already know. I liked a lot of them but the majority of them were pretty depressing, I guess they fit with the book. I want to read War and Peace because that was Chris Mcandless's favorite book. Chris's story is what "Into the Wild" is about. I really suggest you read that, if you haven't already, even if you've seen the movie. It is an incredible story, that can really open your eyes. I relate a lot to the way Chris thinks, and his sometimes I really think about following suit and just dropping everything and living in the wild, just not the same way he did it. I'm pretty sure Chris mentions Bukowski a lot as well, so I will definitely look into his books too. I will also make sure to read that fantasy book. I haven't read a fantasy novel in years and I really enjoy them. Lately, I've only had time to read books that were assigned to me in an English course. The Tempest (Shakespeare), the Hound of the Baskervilles, Jekyl and Hyde, and right now, Ghost Map. Ghost Map is pretty disgusting, but it's interesting at some points. All these books were short and good, nothing I'd really recommend. Thanks again for the recommendations, and if I ever come across something I think you'll enjoy, I'll be sure to post it.
theshoalinstyle
Beginner

Return to Other debates