Is this music?

Films, Tv, books, music, theatre, the arts.

Is this music?

Postby nunya » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 am

Let me first write a couple of lines from a famous rap song:

Soulja boy off in this hoe
Watch me lean and watch me rock
Super man that hoe
Then watch me crank that robocop
Super fresh, now watch me jock
Jocking on them haters man
When i do that soulja boy
I lean to the left and crank that dance
(now you)
I'm jocking on yoour bitch ass
And if we get the fightin
Then i'm cocking on your bitch
You catch me at your local party
Yes i crank it everyday
Haters get mad cuz
"i got me some bathin apes"

:shock: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

What in the hell was that?!?!? When I first heard it on the radio I thought that it's just another horrible rap song and it's just going to pass in about three days( the average life span of most rap songs since there's nothing to them except some rhyme). But then I saw people imitating their moves on the net...

What is the world coming to? Do you think there should be any restrictions about what you can say in music? If you enjoy this kind of music ( to be honest, I enjoyed rap when I was 12 :P ) why? If you don't why not?

Just like to know what you guys think.
nunya
Beginner

Re: Is this music?

Postby C'mon » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:35 am

My personal opinion is that it sux. I really don't care for the genre and don't "get it". The closest to rap that I enjoy is some of Kid Rock's stuff. However, censorship is a bad thing...it doesn't have to make TV, radio or any airwaves and shouldn't...but to create a law which censors what can be recorded is wrong in my mind. Hell, they wanted to shut Elvis down and that whole genre and what The King did/said was mighty tame by today's standards. Entertainment is one of those things in which we still actually have a choice. We can buy it or not buy it...hear/see it or not...censoring is not the answer.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:02 am

I think that for the most part rap (and hip hop for that matter) is complete bullcrap. Thats not to say all, and I have heard some which I actually like. Theirnames escape me however.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:46 pm

personally i dont mind this song as i like the dance that goes with it..at least it isnt encouraging more knife crime and gun crime like it could be...the lyrics arent explicit and so unless u take the time to actually read it an analyse it then no one really gets it so let it be...
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby nunya » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Something shouldn't be considered music unless the lyrics convey a certain message. And in my opinion, any rap song is accompanied by a feeling of superiority and hate. Curly-cherry, you say that the song doesn't encourage crime, but have you seen the lyrics to the whole song? The words clearly lead to fighting someone and the whole song degrades this opposite entity. And you say that nobody really analyses the words, but when something is played over and over, you kind of start to get the message. What I really don't understand is when girls (I say girls because no mature person would do this) say that it's their song and they sing it over and over..... Somebody tell them that the song is about ejaculating on a prostitute (which is pretty much how they see all women, just something to ejaculate on)
nunya
Beginner

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:30 am

I absolutely hate rap, all these rappers/hip hop people just look and sound so ridiculous I really cant take them seriously. Give me good old Rock n Roll any day.
devilsadvocate
Beginner

Postby Ch33z3x » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 am

Saying music must contain lyrics is absolutely ridiculous. You just stated that a great deal of techno, classical, and other famous music is in fact, not. Where's the logic in that?
Ch33z3x
Beginner

Postby furyrider » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:57 pm

very interesting, as well as that music being in my opinion ' sh*t ' it but, like all music provokes strong emotions. As the majority of rap songs are about gangstas and all that crap. listening to it could encourage strong feelings of ate or aggression. yet, as crap as it is, it's a way of live and for some part of their culture and it would for sure make people very upset to monitor rap music.
Last edited by furyrider on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furyrider
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:31 am

Did I read that correctly? Did you say that all music was crap? :shock: Oh my Gawd!! All music? Really?
C'mon
Beginner

Postby furyrider » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:49 pm

C'mon wrote:Did I read that correctly? Did you say that all music was crap? :shock: Oh my Gawd!! All music? Really?

haha, ok...ok. I didn't mean that, funny tho
furyrider
Beginner

Postby Kraizer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 am

Majority of rap/hip hop has no purpose, the rap about nothing or they rap about who they banged last night. Eminem however is an exception. All of his songs are true and mean something. Look up the lyrics to his songs, that's all about his life.

Other wise the rest of hiphop and rap sucks.
Kraizer
Beginner

Postby pat_is_tall » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 am

the purpose of rap/hip hop is freedom of expression and is a form of being artistic. also i find your singular praise of the work of a single white rapper and view of the expressions of may black artists as being pointless. you have basically said that when others sing/ or phrase about the happenings in their life it has no purpose and is stupid, but when a white artist writes a song about his life it is suddenly seen as really good and relevant to society. i thought we had advanced morally beyond petty racism such as this.
pat_is_tall
Beginner

Postby Kraizer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 am

Not racism, What was suggested just happened to be a white rapper that was a great example. As was stated ( Most rap/ hip hop) You can hardly call it music or artistic when you see what the lyrics are.

the last single statement was exaggerated, However I've yet to see many rappers (white or black) that actually express something that has some sort symbol. How is talking ab out how much money you make, what guns you carry ect. considered artistic?
Kraizer
Beginner

Postby chiba » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

lol just because someone makes a song about hustling or partying doesnt make it any less "artistic" i agree some rappers are mildly retarded studio created clowns with big chains and fake teeth, but i also realize its not that easy to truly free style creativly like some of them do, or write creative and entertaining metaphoric song with a decent rythm and beat,basically what im saying is dont generalize, some rappers are garbage and others actually possess talent and dedication to there craft, dont be haters :P
chiba
Beginner

Postby DeathDreamer16 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:59 am

Rap is absolute shit. 1. The beats suck ass 2. It makes no sense 3. So many people like the nonsense 4. Dumb kids stand up for the rappers when someone talks bad about them. You know why it sucks ass so bad? It comes from un-educated American young teen's minds. An un-educated American teen is the worst thing possible ever.
DeathDreamer16
Beginner

Next

Return to Media