Stupid lines in ok films

Films, Tv, books, music, theatre, the arts.

Stupid lines in ok films

Postby madworld » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Lets see if anyones with me on this one.. You know when you're watching a film which seems pretty decent, you find the plot involving, the characters interesting and so on, then they drop in a line of dialogue which just seems weird or wrong. I really hate that. It distracts me totally from the film and I just sit there for ages thinking 'what the hell does that even mean?' or 'They would never say that' or something along those lines. Basically the whole film is ruined by one single crap moment. The one that got me recently was in The Happening, a pretty decent film but the only line I remember from the whole thing is 'There appears to be an event happening' said very seriously and importantly by that bloke off Ferris Beuller.
Thats what events do, they happen! If they didnt happen they wouldnt be events. Saying 'There appears to be an event happening' is the same as saying 'There appears to be some wet water' or 'There appears to be a Politician lying'. Why couldnt he have just said 'Theres some seriously weird shit going on'? At least then I wouldnt have missed 20 minutes of the film lost in my own world. Of course it was made even worse by the fact that every single trailer for the film featured that line so it is now stuck in my head for the rest of my life, or until alcohol finally destroys whats left of my brain.

**Edited to put in correct film title - man that alcohols doing a good job!
madworld
Beginner

Re: Stupid lines in ok films

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:12 am

To be honest, most dialogue goes way over my head in horror or thriller films. I never bother to think too much about it unless the film involves just that- thinking. But yeah there has been a few lines that make no sense to me whatsoever. An example of this is the entire script for Lost. Though when the movie is nothing but dialogue (take Hard Candy for example - fucking brilliant film btw) it has to be good or otherwise it's just two people in a room having a conversation. Hard Candy did that well though. Okay maybe I should stop talking about that movie. People get creeped out by it. Though I recommend it. Hmm, I can't think of any stupid lines off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen plenty.
damostat
Beginner

Return to Media