Talent competitions

Films, Tv, books, music, theatre, the arts.

Talent competitions

Postby curly-cherry » Sun May 04, 2008 4:20 pm

i am just curious what people think of talent comps. I personally put them into 2 catergories.
things like the Xfactor and britians got talent.
then things like I'd do anything and Grease.
personally i think that the second catergory is alot more worth while and entertaining than the x factor and B G T. this is simply because the people that go on there and come out with a load of crap that isnt even worth looking at are deranged but with I'd do anything and Grease they were there for one purpose...to hopefully get a part in a west end musical and achieve their dream which at the end of the day is better than some 40 sumthing woment that thinks barking like a dog is talen :shock:

replies please!!!!!!!!!!
curly-cherry
Beginner

Re: Talent competitions

Postby munchymunch » Sun May 04, 2008 4:35 pm

i agree to a lot of what curly_cherry said, I don't mind 'i'd do anything' or other andrew lloyed webber talent hunts beacuse he's a nice guy looking for specific raw talent. It gives everyday people a chance to live there dreams that other wise wouldn't go down that road. although i didn't like the grease 1 because i felt it was a copy cat show and alot of the contestants wern't that talented.
I also don't like the other talent shows such as x-factor beacuse it is just people like simon cowell out for their own personal gain.

:D
munchymunch
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Tue May 06, 2008 3:27 am

I likeSimon Cowell. I watch American Idol ... it's actually not a bad program...anyway Simon and I rarely disagree. I'm in Canada but the Canadian Idol version of the program isn't as good. It's not the talent, it's the host and the judges. They aren't that great. When these programs first came out I thought they were a sell out, easy rise kinda thing but they're not. The "no-talents" in the beginning of each season are entertaining 'cause they're funny and then some very talented people emerge as it goes on. 8)

Hmmmmm...back to that Simon and I agreeing thing. Maybe that explains why some people consider me to be a prick. :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 am

I have never seen any of the shows you would put in that second category. I have been put off talent shows by the sight of Cowell et al laughing and mocking people who quite clearly have mental health issues and would have been better off being seen by qualified doctors rather than being plastered all over national TV and ridiculed by the nation. It seems like a really sick form of entertainment harking back to medieval times when mentally or physically disabled people would be put in cages, labelled freaks and poked with sticks.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat May 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Oooooh c'mon! Suck it up princess! Those people put themselves out there and their friends and families support their efforts. If they're mentally soft, and I agree that some are, their families should tell them the truth or at least not allow them to participate. I mean really, if your friend/child looked and sounded like some of those contestants would you tell him/her that they were good and support their effort to appear on the show? Also, for the record, I do not condone behavior that belittles anybody with impairments/disabilities.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Sat May 10, 2008 4:59 pm

if instead of watching on tv or sitting in the audience you were there on your own with someone who genuinely believed they were talented singing in front of you would you laugh in their face? What if it was a friend of yours who wanted your honest opinion? Would that still make you laugh? I dont think that laughing at other people from behind a tv, or from the safety of a crowd is a particularly pleasant thing to do (unless that person is trying to make you laugh of course). Its far too close to the bully culture, a group of (probably just as talentless) people picking on one person and ridiculing them.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Sat May 10, 2008 9:07 pm

at the end of the day..the people that go on there chose to go on their and if they were really that mentally unstable they would be in a mental hospital...plus they have to go through checks before hand so they cant really be that ill.....i agree that its a waste of tym and effort for them to go on the shows but if they didnt we woudnt have anything to make us lighten up and enjoy...xxx
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 am

For fuck sake people! You're talking about talent shows! The most god awful entertainment man has ever invented! Ridiculing yourself infront of a nation, just to grab a few bucks is not my idea of grabbing a few laughs. Plus every show is the same thing over and over again. The guy/girl goes on stage, does something impressive (or not) and the judges either fucking hate them or fucking love them. Drag this out for about 15 shows and you have a damn season! My lord we have stooped low.
damostat
Beginner

Postby curly-cherry » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:38 pm

wow damostat you really do have a negative view of things...talent competitions give people a chance that do actually have talent to live their dream of being on stage.
talent competitions are light hearted and a bit of fun..the type of thing some people want when they come home from a stressful day at work or whatever they have been doing and just watch something that doesnt need any thinking or concentration. just relaxing fun.
curly-cherry
Beginner

Postby damostat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 am

curly-cherry wrote:wow damostat you really do have a negative view of things...talent competitions give people a chance that do actually have talent to live their dream of being on stage.
talent competitions are light hearted and a bit of fun..the type of thing some people want when they come home from a stressful day at work or whatever they have been doing and just watch something that doesnt need any thinking or concentration. just relaxing fun.

Well fine, if you are into that sort of thing, have maybe one or two but don't start up 50 thousand of these damn things and compete for ratings! It's bullshit! Plus, if you really need the show, don't televise it! Have it infront of a massive audience that gives tickets out and then you have your minute of fame. Televising this crap is not my idea of a relaxing little program to watch after work. Alright fine, maybe I'm just blowing steam but I feel I deserve this opinion don't you?
damostat
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh course you deserve the right to an opinion. You also have the power to watch or not watch. There have been some really good entertainers discovered by way of American Idol and even Canadian Idol that may not have otherwise been. An example from A.I. is Chris Daughtry and an example from C.I. is Hedley (Jacob Hogart) . A friend of mine actually co-writes and produces the work of those two...pretty cool huh? For him anyway heh,heh. :lol:

To answer if I would tell my friend or family member that they shouldn't go on with the intention of not being mocked...yes. I absolutely would. Would I tell the same person that they suck if all they ever do is sing in the car or home...nope. If they're enjoying singing just for singing I would never inhibit them or take that away. There's no reason to.

The "copycat" and "spin-off" shows are nothing more than a blatant cash grab and there's getting to be way too many of them. On the other side of the coin...I have the option to watch or to not watch. Wanna guess what I do? ...unless it's entertaining to me. :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 am

Actually Damostat what we have with these talent shows competing for ratings is a giant money making machine, it's great for the economy of a country. It takes nothing and makes money out of it. Relax, I'm beginning to think you're one of the kids that got made fun of at the school talent show, lol. Just kidding, don't throw a temper tantrum. And don't cut yourself either, you're probably one of those young Emo teens. And no I'm not anything you're going to claim I am... so save your breath.
Mike
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Emo....I keep hearing that and I've seen the kids that are supposed to be so inclined. Exactly what is an Emo? Is it an attitude, a belief, a cause or just a style? My 16 son doesn't seem to regard them with great respect and I'm not sure why.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Emo is short for Emotional as you may have guessed. They are a group who seeks non-conformity, but the irony of this is that they are conforming... into Emo's.
Strange creatures are the Emo (AKA Tickle Me Emo and a distant cousin of the Emu) they are nocturnal and will frequently cut themselves when faced with a difficult problem. Nearly 50% of the ever growing Emo population is homosexual. The rise of the Emo population as of late is due to the movie Donnie Darko (worst plot of all-time) and the overhunting of the American alligator. The simple minded Emo fail to realize that no one over the age of forty is Emo. Hence wisdom does not equal Emo. Your son is wise C'mon. Emo are responsible for such events as the Columbine Massacre and the Virginia Tech shooting.

Show me an Emo and I'll show you conformity, depression, and shame........... oh yeah and genital warts.
Mike
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:52 pm

AaaHaHaHawHaw!! :lol: Mike, you do have a way with words. I talked to my son about the Emos (Emi ?) :roll: again and he basically said all of what you said. A lot of it I kind of gathered on my own...I'm not that outta touch, I think. Geez I'm not 100, I'm 40. Anyway, you would be amazed how similar your answers were. Thanx for the clarification.
C'mon
Beginner

Next

Return to Media