that bloody QI programme

Films, Tv, books, music, theatre, the arts.

that bloody QI programme

Postby monkeyonyourback » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Ok this probably only applies to those in the UK but that QI with Stephen Fry is really starting to bug me. Why do they have to go around revealing all these 'facts' to be lies? I was so much happier thinking I actually knew a few things about the world, I was content in my ignorance of how ignorant I was. But now thanks to Fry and co I am more aware than ever of how much I dont know about anything and every time they smugly point out another of lifes little lies I feel I know even less. Surely they must be wrong sometimes too? Someone please tell me they've been completely and utterly wrong at least once!
monkeyonyourback
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure they are wrong sometimes, in fact I remember Stephen Fry once claimed that the odd shaped pieces which get cut out of train tickets by ticket inspectors are called 'Didcotts' and was then informed through his earpiece that that was a lie made up by Douglas Adams and the shows producer in 'The meaning of Liff'. So Mr Fry doesnt know it all, he just repeats whatever his team of researchers tell him though his earpiece.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby Dateeno » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:05 am

I find very little time to waste watching such programs... I find it extremely irritating and boring.

I have barely seen 1 episode due to how crap i think it is so i wouldnt know if he knows "everything" but i most certainly think he does not know everything and that they will be wrong in quite alot of subjects.
Dateeno
Beginner

Postby SlowJohn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am

I love the program, yeah they make mistakes (I'm pretty sure in my 44 years I haven't come across anything flawless so far).

To me it's more about entertainment than facts, if I wanted facts I'd watch an OU programme; dull as a dull thing but factually based!
SlowJohn
Beginner

Re: that bloody QI programme

Postby Taco185 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Gave up on that program. Came across as if the contestants/panel/teams thought they were at the center of all intellectual knowledge for being on that show, but silly little factoids make that the case not so. Its all scripted and as "aceofspades" elegantly argues, an ear piece with some researches at the other end can make anyone a fountain of knowledge.
Taco185
Beginner

Re: that bloody QI programme

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:01 pm

I, on the other hand, need no such earpiece. My knowledge and wisdom gushes forth like a big gushing thing. :P
devilsadvocate
Beginner

Return to Media