Politically Correct

'If I was in charge things would be different...'

Politically Correct

Postby C'mon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:31 pm

What an idiotic way of speaking! What the Hell is an Afro-Canadian or an African-Canadian? I have many black friends that don't have afros and have never been to Africa. These are only two examples of this new moronic language. Is a bald guy "follically challenged" now? If you live, work and die in Canada would that not make you a Canadian? I like that fact that we Canadians are considered to be a friendly nation. That's wonderful, but do we need to forsake our traditions and customs so that someone of a different ethnic background is not offended? If you live here and want to take part in an organization or even be employed by one, do you have the God-given right to change that organization to suit your ethnic or religious beliefs? I say absolutely not! Unfortunately, my government disagrees...we have turban-wearing RCMP officers! That can only breed resentment toward the turban wearers in my mind. Stuff like that really pisses me off! I don't care where you came from, but if you're here now and meet the qualifications to be a member of the RCMP leave your damn turban at home! It's not part of the uniform and if you cannot accept that be something else.

I mean really folks,
C'mon 8)
C'mon
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 pm

oh come on, whats wrong with a bit of ethnic diversity exactly? So what if 'its not part of the uniform', Im sure they can still do the job with the turban on so whats the problem? Or are you one of these people who's afraid of anything thats outside your limited experiences of the world and wants to be surrounded by people exactly the same as you in every way so that you feel like you fit in...
aceofspades
Beginner

Re: Politically Correct

Postby Taco185 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:39 pm

C'mon wrote:It's not part of the uniform and if you cannot accept that be something else.

That "normal" hat of RCMP is only traditional is it not? Its hardly very functional for the job is it, when I mean functional I'm stating the hat;

1. Isn't bullet proof.
2. Isn't knife resistant.
3. Won't the keep the head of a RCMP that warm in a cold Canadian winter.
4. Won't offer much protection if the RCMP falls off his horse.
5. Unlikely to withstand the charge of a heard of lesser spotted Canadian sabre toothed moose's.
6. And, lets be honest, they look pretty dumb stupid in the first place.

So while the Turban may be little unauthordox for a RCMP to be seen in, its able to the job of a traditional hat and if thats the case who cares what's on a RCMPs head. Tbh, a nice kevlar, carbon fibre composite helmet would be a more suitable head piece to be using.
Taco185
Beginner

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Im gonna side with the original poster here. Frankly I think that anyone who wishes to join an organisation, whatever it may be, should respect that organisations rules and traditions (however stupid or pointless they may seem). Organisations only exist because of their rules and traditions, if you start ripping these apart in order to be politically correct the original organisation and its meaning will be destroyed.
Also, Imagine if you will, a world where people could travel around to any country they please but still obey the laws of the country they were born in.... I think I've made my point.
devilsadvocate
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sun May 04, 2008 5:36 am

It's not like I'm saying that I don't want "them" in my country or in the R.C.M.P.. I don't feel that way at all. We have a very diverse and welcoming culture here and I'm all for it. My point is that the R.C.M.P. is such a proud and traditional Canadian organization why alter it to accomodate anyone? In my mind, if you truly want to be a member of that, the uniform is a requirement (or should be). If you live in Canada and you work in Canada you're Canadian and that should be first and foremost. If the roles were reversed could I change the uniform over there...not likely. It's kind of like that old question, "Is nothing sacred?" or how about the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans."...it's that sort of thing to me.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sun May 04, 2008 5:42 am

Oh, I forgot to answer a couple of questions I see...my experience is not limited and fitting in has nothing to do with this issue at all. Those are juvenile issues. As far as the functionality of the hat...not really functional, nope! Except that it is highly recognized and respected, but practically useless I guess. The same could be said for a turban I suppose, couldn't it? Except that here a turban doesn't command much respect. Hmmmm.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Sat May 10, 2008 11:09 am

So you get pissed off by turban wearers and yet Im the juvenile one. Interesting.
A question: If two people went for the same job in the RCMP, one was exceptionally well qualified, dedicated to the job, hard working, respectful and everything you need to be to be in the RCMP but insisted on wearing a turban, and the other was stupid, lazy and likes making his horse fart at people, which would you want them to employ?
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm

As funny as your farting horse image is the choice would never come down to those two particular candidates. Turban wearing people don't piss me off, either. I'm pissed off with the Canadian government for allowing the uniform to be altered. The uniform of Major League Baseball is taken more seriously because if a player wants to wear something outside of the parameters it is not allowed. It's a shame that a game takes their uniform more seriously than the government took the R.C.M.P.'s. Don't you understand what I'm saying? I'm not anti-anything[i] , I'm [i]pro-Canadian. There is a difference.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:07 am

C'mon actually has a great point there because Arab soccer players do not wear a Turban on the field...because they are not allowed... but the regulations of a government organization are less strict? Come on
Mike
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:17 pm

That's what I mean Mike. It's a matter of convenience it seems for some. As I have said repeatedly...I am not ANTI anything I am PRO CANADIAN. I was reading a little while ago that in a B.C. sawmill the turban wearing workers were refusing to wear their hardhats. :roll: That is absolutely a safety matter and totally against the law and company policy. That private business owner told them that if they wouldn't/couldn'y comply to stay home. Good for him!! I applaud his character ... I wish there were more like him.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 pm

[quote="Mike"]C'mon actually has a great point there because Arab soccer players do not wear a Turban on the field...because they are not allowed... but the regulations of a government organization are less strict? Come on[/quote]

So are you suggesting that we follow the lead of the football world when it comes to dealing with culture issues? A world where someone who racially abuses and attacks an asian man is still allowed to play on the England national team? A world where one commentator can describe a black player as a 'lazy, thick nigger' and then be defended by another commentator who claims that this sort of language is just a bit of fun in football and is no worse than being called 'Chinny'. (Ron Atkinson and Jimmy Hill in case you were wondering).
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:48 pm

I don't think that anybody has suggested name calling or any of that horseshit. What has been suggested, and what I think is a great idea, is that things stop being altered to accomodate someone because they take themselves so seriously. Be what ever the Hell ya want to be but don't expect others to change their traditions, uniforms, laws or safety rules to suit you. If what is in place doesn't suit you...go elsewhere.
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Misuriver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:12 pm

This is indeed a tough issue. Either one is pretty dumb (I hate being called African-American... I would never visit the continent of Africa. That place scares me); however, everyone has their reasons for it. It does no one any harm, so why worry about it. If it makes them happy, let them have at it.
Misuriver
Beginner

Postby unleashed♥ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:33 am

think its a respect issue. and if the company has allowed them to wear turbans then they are obviously just showing respect for the individual. iteresting how sports are not as respectful though but meh this subject doesnt fire me up dam it
unleashed♥
Beginner

Return to Politics