My God's Bigger Than Your God.

So who is this God person anyway?

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby C'mon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:57 am

I finally decided to check this thread out...good read you two! :wink: If you don't mind I'll throw my opinion into the mix...no, that's a lie. I'll throw it in even if you do mind! :lol: I feel that Christianity has one characteristic that is essential to its existance...faith. You can study the Bible from cover to cover until you can recite it entirely but if you don't believe it's of no use to you. Faith has no explanation because of its very meaning. I have found that the more people want me to convince them that God is real, the more they want to believe. I believe in God. I believe that He created everything. I believe in Jesus and that He is God's son and that any and all of my "sins" will be forgiven if I ask because of His existance. I have faith. I will never believe that God is just a fairy tale. Sometimes it's what keeps me going.
I also would like to address another thing that was said that I disagree with. It was something about creativity having no place in science...hmmmm. :? I'm thinkin' that some of our most celebrated scientist-discoverers may beg to differ. I wasn't there but isn't it believable that the discovery of penecillan involved some creativity?
C'mon
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:05 am

I just thought of something else that's related to the topic...for years I struggled with the ethics, my ethics, and how I perceived God's intent in regards to organ transplant. Then, someone said to me,"If God didn't want us to be able to do that He wouldn't have given us the knowledge and capability."...cool! This little story really suits this thread because it shows that I was over-thinking the ethics and I think that some people may be over-thinking God's existance. It also shows man's (my) arrogance, thinking that I could interprete God's intent. :roll: aaaaand it is another example of creativity in science.

So. Which came first, Frankenstein or our ability to actually take parts from one person and use them on/in another? :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:31 am

But did God give us the ability and knowledge to create atomic weapons? By your logic yes, but if he didn't want us to build them why did he give us the capability.
Mike
Beginner

Postby damostat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:35 am

Mike wrote:Of course not, theories are explanations by observing our surrounding universe. But what are the actual laws of our environment? Do we even know? A perfect circle is a theory, an idea, it doesn't actually exist in our universe. Is there no such thing as a circle? If not, it has still done a pretty damn good job of explaining our universe through trigonometry. So is the idea of a circle nonsensical.

How come you seem to think that a religious person can't think for themself and honor a good argument? Seems like you are the one with the closed mind. I've actually changed my opinions about certain topics because of this forum, even your own. But you my friend seem much too demagogic. You are the parallel of one of those TV preachers wanting everyone to praise God and his glory and whatever.... But you are preaching to everyone that the concept of a deity is B.S.

How do you know? How can you be so sure that religion is bad?

Actually I don't believe I once said that a religious person couldn't think for themselves and honour a good argument. What I said and meant was the fact that when god comes into play, alot of arguments are proved null. God can do anything apparently. I'm really not trying to say that you can't form your own opinion or have a closed mind, all I'm saying is that with a deity who is capable of doing absolutely anything, an argument on the subject just isn't worth it. I keep as open a mind as possible but on the topic of religion, christianity just doesn't convince me no matter how much "evidence" people try to throw at me. I know I sound stubborn and I know I sound blasphemous but I can't base a life around faith. I can only base it on truth (that is fully evident infront of me. I'm not necessarily saying he's not real as nobody can prove that) . And to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather be oblivious to what's out there than discover any of it. Not because I'm afraid and not because I don't want to, but because of religious nuts (this in no way includes you as you are very civil in your beliefs which I thank you for). I do agree with you though, religion is not bad. I actually like alot of the religions out there such as buddhism or shinto. And like you said, it's the people involved. I don't mean to preach the fact that a deity is bullshit as none of us can be sure.

Now, humanic theories and creations. Many procedures such as trigonometry have been created by humans and humans alone. Surely you know this? What I'm taking from your writing is that somehow we got all these theories from someone else. Something else. Maths is not air tight and has not as of yet explained the many mysteries of the universe.
damostat
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Well Mike, I do think that the knowledge and capabilities came from God. How do you know that He didn't want us to build them? Christianity is full of choices so just because you can do something it doesn't mean that you have to. Also just because those weapons exist there is a choice to be made whether to use them or not.

As far as trying to convince someone of God's existance goes...I'm not gonna do it. I feel that one's beliefs are a very personal thing. I don't want people knocking on my door to hear their beliefs, but it happens. However, I would never do such a thing because I respect the privacy of others and their right to make choices. So, Damostat, old buddy...you won't be bombarded with "evidence" from me.

I've got an idea regarding those door knocker guys, though. I'm thinking that I will find out where they live and become a nuisance to them. :wink: :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby damostat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:25 am

C'mon wrote:I've got an idea regarding those door knocker guys, though. I'm thinking that I will find out where they live and become a nuisance to them. :wink: :lol:

Actually, that's something I'd like to do heh. Just how many people have they converted? Next to none. They build a religion on pestering someone until they finally give in or resort to some sort of violence. I like to play tricks on them though. My favourite one being "Oh I'm sorry I'm sacrificing a lamb to Rah at the moment. Could you come back later? The blood is collecting around the alter."
damostat
Beginner

Postby C'mon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:53 am

Heh,heh...that's funny. If I see them coming I crank up some Ozzy or Motley Crue and ignore their knocking. Sometimes they hear the tunes and just leave too. :lol:
C'mon
Beginner

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:42 am

C'mon wrote:Heh,heh...that's funny. If I see them coming I crank up some Ozzy or Motley Crue and ignore their knocking. Sometimes they hear the tunes and just leave too. :lol:

Hehehe...good times.
damostat
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:34 am

Hmmm. Just a thought, but everyone suddenly went atheist what would happen in terms of religous conflict? Would it all go away? Of course it bloody wouldn't. There would be different sects of atheism and they would all argue and blow each other up and pester families with door to door knocking campaigns. And, while on this topic, I'm fairly sure theres an "Organised Chuch of Atheism"...
Johngo4
Beginner

Previous

Return to Religion