My God's Bigger Than Your God.

So who is this God person anyway?

My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Moloko's Pet » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Right, let's get all this religious palaver sorted out once and for all.

State who your God is, what his special powers are, and why we should join his gang. Afterwards, all the extremely unbiased agnostics will have a vote on who's God makes the best case for being the Mac Daddy.


Comments from religious loons will be treated with the respect they deserve.
Moloko's Pet
Beginner
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:52 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Brian Blessed is God. I suspect possibly one of the ancient Greek Gods in disguise, albeit not a very good disguise.
devilsadvocate
Beginner
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:05 am

The sun! The sun is almighty! It gives us warmth and food and life with everything else we need in between. No prayer needed to keep it alight and it's punishable wrath is just a skin cancer. You fuck with the sun, the sun fucks with you. Fair play. Come on people, the sun has a better argument than god!
damostat
Beginner
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:44 pm

That's because the sun is tangible idiot! It takes no creativity to believe in it. I mean i guess its natural for the entire universe which is about 200 billion light years in diameter to spontaneously occur out of literal nothingness[i][/i]. The truth is we don't know, so if you are criticizing someones belief in a creator you are ignorant because science can't prove where we come from in the aspect of life and in the aspect of the universe.
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby damostat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:11 am

Mike wrote:That's because the sun is tangible idiot! It takes no creativity to believe in it. I mean i guess its natural for the entire universe which is about 200 billion light years in diameter to spontaneously occur out of literal nothingness[i][/i]. The truth is we don't know, so if you are criticizing someones belief in a creator you are ignorant because science can't prove where we come from in the aspect of life and in the aspect of the universe.

Oh please, I'm only trying to spark an argument. And of course science doesn't prove every aspect of life and the universe but why should a deity explain this too? There are so many complications and holes in the theory that god created the universe. But wait a second...creativity? You're bringing creativity into beliefs? Congratulations, you just proved my theory that your fiction overrules you. At least the sun helps us out when we need it. What has god done for us recently hmm? If you think he has, give me full proof. Now, I understand where you're coming from with my criticisms but like I said, this is an arguing forum! You're supposed to argue!
damostat
Beginner
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm not sure why you keep referring to God in a religious sense... and as for creativity... it may or may not be fiction. Kind of like Einstein's equation E=mc^2 we all assume that it is true but it took Einstein's imaginative creativity to produce it, and there's not many people on the planet that can fully understand this equation and prove it to be true. So if you are an individual who looks at facts then this universal law might as well be fiction to you considering you can't prove it. Your computer might as well be fiction considering you don't know how it works... but guess what somebody made it... and just because you hear that people can make processing chips doesn't mean they can, when have you seen it first hand? None of us on this website have. 95% of your world is fiction because you can't prove how it works. There's so many holes in our own world that a creator seems like a more logical explanation than random existence. And if there is a creator it/he/she gave us the sun, so there, that's what they have done for us.
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Occam's razor
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby damostat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:46 am

Mike wrote:I'm not sure why you keep referring to God in a religious sense... and as for creativity... it may or may not be fiction. Kind of like Einstein's equation E=mc^2 we all assume that it is true but it took Einstein's imaginative creativity to produce it, and there's not many people on the planet that can fully understand this equation and prove it to be true. So if you are an individual who looks at facts then this universal law might as well be fiction to you considering you can't prove it. Your computer might as well be fiction considering you don't know how it works... but guess what somebody made it... and just because you hear that people can make processing chips doesn't mean they can, when have you seen it first hand? None of us on this website have. 95% of your world is fiction because you can't prove how it works. There's so many holes in our own world that a creator seems like a more logical explanation than random existence. And if there is a creator it/he/she gave us the sun, so there, that's what they have done for us.

Okay, everything you have just said is utter bullshit. Creativity has nothing to do with science, only human interaction with the science itself. Both science and religion have to be somewhat consistent in order for any order or creativity to be produced. What I'm saying is, if creativity is suddenly mixed into religious beliefs or any sort of consistency that may have existed within said religion, the product is then an inconsistent and ultimately flawed belief.
Now, let me give you a hypothetical situation:
If a man was to create a cure for all disease in the world and all humans lived just that little bit longer, what would you celebrate? The man or the cure? If man, you create a situation where you give publicity to a man who might not want it in the first place-only to give life in itself. If cure, you celebrate the very product of a man and don't do anything to harm his lifestyle or intervene in his way of living. Now, swap the man for God and the cure for the Sun. Would you worship the man who gave us said Sun or worship the very thing that gives us life in the first place? We can't be sure God exists but we sure as hell can be certain the sun does.
damostat
Beginner
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 am

You're forgetting the fact that some people refer to the sun as God and refer to science as God. You keep referring to my god as a single entity such as a human being. Your view of what I'm saying is so over-opinionated that you are telling me what I believe in. Maybe my god is science and existence and physical laws and whatever placed those three in existence. I would praise whatever that is... and I call it God.

But yes I would praise the man as well for he is part of what I see as God.

Opinions are bullshit to you? Then why did you join this clinic? Just to impose your demagogic views on to the readers? Grow up and respond to my comment with something that disproves what I wrote or gives me a case in which my idea is obviously obsolete.... don't respond with a question first.... because I can choose to answer it anyway I please. I don't have to stay inside guidelines. Point being it isn't intelligent to argue with questions. Maybe in a face to face unprepared confrontation... but never in writing, because I'm not saying that this is me, but there is always someone smarter than you, so don't give them an open opportunity to belittle you.

It's kind of like a fighter throwing an enormous punch, if he lands the punch it is a knockout, if he misses and his opponent is swift, he leaves himself wide open.

You also wrote that Creativity is not science… which is absurd because everything we know to be true is Science. If everything is Science…….. Creativity falls under the category of everything. This argument would only be false if of course there is existence outside of our physical realm. So Damostat, do you believe that science is everything including Creativity or do you believe in something other than what we have the potential to prove through science? (keyword Potential)

See how there are several ways to answer this question without losing? That is why you don’t ask a question in writing.
Last edited by Mike on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:02 am

damostat wrote:Oh please, I'm only trying to spark an argument. And of course science doesn't prove every aspect of life and the universe
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby damostat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:54 am

Mike wrote:You're forgetting the fact that some people refer to the sun as God and refer to science as God. You keep referring to my god as a single entity such as a human being. Your view of what I'm saying is so over-opinionated that you are telling me what I believe in. Maybe my god is science and existence and physical laws and whatever placed those three in existence. I would praise whatever that is... and I call it God.

But yes I would praise the man as well for he is part of what I see as God.

Opinions are bullshit to you? Then why did you join this clinic? Just to impose your demagogic views on to the readers? Grow up and respond to my comment with something that disproves what I wrote or gives me a case in which my idea is obviously obsolete.... don't respond with a question first.... because I can choose to answer it anyway I please. I don't have to stay inside guidelines. Point being it isn't intelligent to argue with questions. Maybe in a face to face unprepared confrontation... but never in writing, because I'm not saying that this is me, but there is always someone smarter than you, so don't give them an open opportunity to belittle you.

It's kind of like a fighter throwing an enormous punch, if he lands the punch it is a knockout, if he misses and his opponent is swift, he leaves himself wide open.

You also wrote that Creativity is not science… which is absurd because everything we know to be true is Science. If everything is Science…….. Creativity falls under the category of everything. This argument would only be false if of course there is existence outside of our physical realm. So Damostat, do you believe that science is everything including Creativity or do you believe in something other than what we have the potential to prove through science? (keyword Potential)

See how there are several ways to answer this question without losing? That is why you don’t ask a question in writing.

My apologies Mike. When in a certain state of mind I can actually be insulting and blunt for no reason. But, there are some incorrect statements within your writing which I feel must be addressed. You claimed I was over-opinionated. Now, that's not true. Many, many christians claim God to be a single entity. In fact, in a previous message you referred to God as it/him/her. You're a little inconsistant with your writing.

Now, why exactly would you praise the man aswell? The cure is what saves people. The man only helped it along. My point is, why should we celebrate god if the sun is what powers us? We can't even be sure He exists and yet we do know the sun does.

No I don't find opinions bullshit. I was just in one of those moods. I savour opinions and feel everyone has the right to them.

Now, personally, science is just another human creation and I feel it faulty along with every other human endeavor but that's just my personal disgust and distaste for this race. But if I was to argue for it, no, creativity is not a part of science. Science is meant to be a fixed method of understanding the environment around us. Sure, you can input some level of creativity into science to make a plausible outcome but as a general subject matter, no, it has to stay as a fixed method. If you change the way you give experiment (say, never have a control or just generally mess around with the way you do it) then science becomes faulty. It's the same with religion (which, just for this argument we shall focus upon christianity)
damostat
Beginner
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:04 pm

So we have different opinions of what science is, that's why we're arguing. You see I believe that science was created by man, you're right, but I also believe that it discovers and follows the natural laws of the Universe. And that's what I was referring to as science: physics, chemistry, etc. Not physical laws such as in the ones we produce but the ones that actually exist, whatever those are. Therefor I see my science as everything, and I think you see yours as what man produces as an explanation of what we see.
damostat wrote:Ah well, to each his own eh?


And the word "it" doesn't imply a single entity that's why I wrote "it/him/her"... I was covering all the bases. We could still refer to everything as it.
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby damostat » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:26 am

Mike wrote:So we have different opinions of what science is, that's why we're arguing. You see I believe that science was created by man, you're right, but I also believe that it discovers and follows the natural laws of the Universe. And that's what I was referring to as science: physics, chemistry, etc. Not physical laws such as in the ones we produce but the ones that actually exist, whatever those are. Therefor I see my science as everything, and I think you see yours as what man produces as an explanation of what we see.
damostat wrote:Ah well, to each his own eh?


And the word "it" doesn't imply a single entity that's why I wrote "it/him/her"... I was covering all the bases. We could still refer to everything as it.

Hmm, well that explanation has to come from some sort of source right? We couldn't have just heard it from the bunnies (though that would be remarkably cool). Therefore, humans themselves have created metaphysical laws you speak of. No other mind we know of has given these to us (unless you are religious of course. If so, I know I can't argue with you as everything I say will apparently be proved null). We have seen these things and based science around them entirely. Correct me if I'm wrong but humans couldn't just stumble across these theories laid there by someone else.
damostat
Beginner
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:23 am

Of course not, theories are explanations by observing our surrounding universe. But what are the actual laws of our environment? Do we even know? A perfect circle is a theory, an idea, it doesn't actually exist in our universe. Is there no such thing as a circle? If not, it has still done a pretty damn good job of explaining our universe through trigonometry. So is the idea of a circle nonsensical.

How come you seem to think that a religious person can't think for themself and honor a good argument? Seems like you are the one with the closed mind. I've actually changed my opinions about certain topics because of this forum, even your own. But you my friend seem much too demagogic. You are the parallel of one of those TV preachers wanting everyone to praise God and his glory and whatever.... But you are preaching to everyone that the concept of a deity is B.S.

How do you know? How can you be so sure that religion is bad?
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Re: My God's Bigger Than Your God.

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:24 am

People are bad, not religion. So don't give me some sort of war and death and hatred crap.
Mike
Beginner
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:28 am

Next

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron