ISLAM

Postby MardyCow » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 am

A peaceful religion?

Discuss
MardyCow
Beginner

Re: ISLAM

Postby Moloko's Pet » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:07 pm

If anyone believes that the intentions of every muslim can be carried under the banner of one word, they would be fools. The authorities and the media are just playing their usual game of divide and conquer, by stirring up fear and distrust.
Moloko's Pet
Beginner

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:13 pm

The words 'peaceful' and 'religion' very rarely go together in my opinion. Ok so the media may be partly to blame for the current hysteria over Islamic suicide bombers, jihads and so on but the fact is Islam is every bit as bad as - just to pluck one random example out of the air - Christianity when it comes to causing wars etc throughout the world. The reason we dont have Christian suicide bombers and crusades going on now is that Christian areas of the world are generally more advanced scientificaly, socially and culturally which has lessened the religious beliefs which are simply not required any more. Islamic areas of the world tend to be far less developed and have alot more suffering which will make people turn to religion for a way out.
devilsadvocate
Beginner

Postby Johngo4 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 am

I'm sorry? Have any of you actually taken the time to read even a summary of either of those holy books? Yes I know they're both contradictory and inconsistent. But both very clear ly say "thou shall not kill". Therefore, suicide bombers are both going against their own holy book and religion. And, in case you didn't know, Al Quaeda is fighting for the restoration of the Caliphate. So, it is easily as much a nationalist organisation as a religous one.
Johngo4
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:27 pm

That depends whose writing the summary. As I believe is mentioned in another topic around here the bible and Holy books in other religions can be interpreted in many ways. Yes they may say 'thou shalt not kill', but theres also passages in the bible which can be interpreted as 'it is your duty to kill those who do not believe in the same religion as you'.
The problem isn't religion per se, the problem is people using religion, and peoples fears and superstitions, for their own means.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby anson201 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 am

anson201
Beginner

Postby aceofspades » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 am

That article highlights exactly the point i was making.
[quote]Muslims are ordered by God to "slay [enemies] wherever you find them!" (4: 89). Extremists such as Osama bin Laden like to quote such verses but do so selectively. They do not include the exhortations to peace, which in almost every case follow these more ferocious passages: "Thus, if they let you be, and do not make war on you, and offer you peace, God does not allow you to harm them[/quote]

Its possible to make any religion seem violent or peaceful simply by selecting different quotes. I have never heard that second quote before but any time a religious extremist appears in the news they always seem to be accompanied by some quote very much like the first.
aceofspades
Beginner

Postby tudodude » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

After several years in Saudi, Yala Thailand, Bahrain and Birmingham England I have to say I am NOT overly impressed with the representatives of Islam, generally speaking of course.
The nicest people I have ever met we Saudis when I lived there for 2 years. However the most extreme nutters I have ever met were from the same city. People very seldom spoke bad of major incidents in a condeming fashion. Non-islamic events are often easier to discuss. You couldn't have a 9/11 discussion or Natzi without the same theories being used, holocaust never happened, mosad set up 9/11 to start a war with Islam, no jews died that day as they were all text messaged and told to stay home or away... No shit :?
I saw the degrading and restricting of women, although this varies from Riyadh to Yala it is still easy to see. The unfairness of the systems in to practice in terms of equality and the over-reaction to incidents. The attempts to ignore the holocaust, the blaming of the UK for not helping in Bosnia soon enough... Don't remember Saudi flying in their either.
So many examples to choose from.
Some amazing people. But as a religion it is supposed to be about peace but it is very easily used for warring actions.
I admire its unity, I dispare at the way it's unity is used to create intense over-reactions and poor justificatons for many of its fundamental stand points.
I personally am very glad to not be a Muslim for the above reasons.
tudodude
Beginner

Postby chiba » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

bottom line is in the lots of the text is an underlaying sence of violence that if implemented into the minds of people espeacially youths would cause an almost instictive hate or anger towards those who dont follow the same religion, so even if they seem peaceful or even helpful if they are true believers of the Islamic religion then they would look at you as a sinner and something to be destroyed if not converted,and even if it was there original intention not to teach violence and hate towards other faiths and people it cant be prevented because its is directly spoken about in the writings, here are some quotes to prove my point, even though im no fan of any religion, i think islam makes me lulz the most

* The Roman numerals are the SURAs of the Koran -- similar to the books of the Bible
XVI.8: It may be that your Lord will have mercy on you, and if you (again return to disobedience).
We too will return (to punishment), and We have made hell a prison for the unbelievers.

II.161: Surely those who disbelieve and die while they are disbelievers, these it is on whom is the curse of Allah and the angels and men all;

IX. 5-6: Kill those who join other gods with God wherever you may find them.

IV.74: Let those who fight in the cause of God who barter the life of this world for that which is to come; for whoever fights on God's path, whether he is killed or triumphs, We will give him a handsome reward.<----thats basically saying that the life you have now doesnt matter if you die fighting for islamic ideas, and if someone was taught that from birth you would basically create a crazy person out to prove themselves worthy of endless wealth by killing nonbelievers, they dont even know any better to them its the greatest honor

IV.144, III.28 No friends with non believers<-----i mean come on, if they truly follow this religion they can never truly be your friend if you dont share the same beliefs

Ii.7 Allah causes you to not believe and then punishes you for it<----rofl

IV.89 Kill non-believers
V.82 Anti Jewish verses -
Then when the Sacred Months have passed, then kill the Mushrikûn (Jews) wherever you find them
VIII.37 Allah instructs Islamics to heap up corpses of non believers
VIII.12 Cut off the fingertips of unbelievers
XLVII.4 Smite the neck of unbelievers
X.4 ; V.10 ; V.86 Severe Punishment for atheists
XXII.19-22 ; LXXII.23, XCVIII.6 Severe Punishment for non-believers
LVI.42-43 Sadistic punishments
XVI.106 ; III.86-88 ; III.90 ; IV.137 Punishment for apostates
XVII.17-17 Allah will commit genocide

VI.25 ; VI.110 Intentionally preventing unbelievers from knowing the truth
XVII.45-46 Intentionally preventing unbelievers from Understanding Koran<----basically says lie to everyone else so they cant mess with us
chiba
Beginner

Postby JackAfter6 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 pm

The words "Islamic" and "terrorist" have become almost synonymous these days. The many terrorist atrocities of late are seen by many, to be caused by the radical fanatical fundamentalist beliefs held by practitioners of Islam. They argue that the religion of Islam cannot be a peaceful one, because so many fanatics have lately been blowing up innocents in suicide bombings and the like. One poster (Devilsadvocate) mentioned that it is perhaps not the religion, but the socioeconomic situation which causes the suicide bombers to so readily strap on their bombs. Two things are clear however; it seems certain that of late all the bombings have been perpetrated by Islamic Terrorists, and that these bombers were also from a backward, poor, and undereducated society.

Interestingly, the measure of scientific discovery, and educational advances in any population, has an inverse relationship with both religious membership and acts of terrorism by citizens of that population. This can be seen in the horrific reputation of the Catholic Church with its centuries of terrorist-like Crusades, witch burning, and the torture of heretics, as well as by the ongoing terrorism perpetrated by extremist Muslims today. As the "western world" advanced scientifically and educationally, it became wealthier, and the membership in its churches both declined, and became less likely to wander into neighboring countries on a slaughter spree.

So the question then is simply one of causation. Science has replaced Christianity in the western world. However science has never even come close to replacing Islam. In fact never before has any religion enjoyed such an incredible increase in membership so quickly. It is clear now, that the fact that science cannot make headway against Islam when it so readily defeated Christianity means that Christianity is a false religion, and Islam is the true religion.
JackAfter6
Beginner

Postby chiba » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:59 pm

So the question then is simply one of causation. Science has replaced Christianity in the western world. However science has never even come close to replacing Islam. In fact never before has any religion enjoyed such an incredible increase in membership so quickly. It is clear now, that the fact that science cannot make headway against Islam when it so readily defeated Christianity means that Christianity is a false religion, and Islam is the true religion.

No offence dude....but this was the most retarded ass backwards thing ive ever read, i dont support any religion i think its just a new age of man a religion doesnt really have a legitamit place hear anymore, every religion can be proven false just go watch religilous its a decent documentory and will explain alot of things, but to say because people in the western world have started to wise up and realize religion is a plain joke doesnt mean islam is some great religion it just means u fucks are to busy blowin urselves up and avoiding bacon to even realize it urselfs, see over hear in my part of the world eventually we will use or freedom of speech to tell people they r full of shit and do our own thing, but u guys get killed for that dont you? lulz :lol:
chiba
Beginner

Postby Rawness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

JackAfter6 wrote:The words "Islamic" and "terrorist" have become almost synonymous these days. The many terrorist atrocities of late are seen by many, to be caused by the radical fanatical fundamentalist beliefs held by practitioners of Islam. They argue that the religion of Islam cannot be a peaceful one, because so many fanatics have lately been blowing up innocents in suicide bombings and the like. One poster (Devilsadvocate) mentioned that it is perhaps not the religion, but the socioeconomic situation which causes the suicide bombers to so readily strap on their bombs. Two things are clear however; it seems certain that of late all the bombings have been perpetrated by Islamic Terrorists, and that these bombers were also from a backward, poor, and undereducated society.

Interestingly, the measure of scientific discovery, and educational advances in any population, has an inverse relationship with both religious membership and acts of terrorism by citizens of that population. This can be seen in the horrific reputation of the Catholic Church with its centuries of terrorist-like Crusades, witch burning, and the torture of heretics, as well as by the ongoing terrorism perpetrated by extremist Muslims today. As the "western world" advanced scientifically and educationally, it became wealthier, and the membership in its churches both declined, and became less likely to wander into neighboring countries on a slaughter spree.

Gah. So many things are wrong here. Christianity as a whole is expanding faster than Islam as a whole. Islams influence in West is due to immigration due to war, not to forget that they give birth on higher average than the average person in "west". Given the data one can assume many things, but if you're doing it without looking at the actual data you're... going to be wrong.

To say that a religion is right simply because It wont listen to reason seems to be the most stupidly absurd idea to justifiy it's truthiness, i hope you're ironic here and only posted it for debate, which seems to be your point.
Rawness
Beginner

Postby Logocalypse » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 am

Islam is not a peaceful religion, it is the (currently) most violent religion on the face of the planet. Beyond the terrors in the Koran alone, Muslim people have consistently proven they are willing to kill people on the basis of their religion alone like no other religious group on the planet today.

That being said, all religions have their limits. Islamic people have been humiliated by imperialism over the last few centuries, mainly by the west. One could say that their influence has been persecuted.

I for one, though; wish more would be done to "unjustly" persecute the superstitious of all faiths. Anyone of any faith who thinks its OK to make other people fear them because of their faith deserve it. Its fair treatment. Suspicion of any religious person is justified. Only the non-religious really have any ground to stand on when we say we value human life. You might almost say, I feel anti-religious in a sort of religious way. Religion is obsolete. It no longer serves the unifying purpose it had before globalization. It only divides people against one another and causes conflict. Only at the local level does it serve its true purpose, and even there it only serves the purpose of isolating individuals from the rest of global human kind.
Logocalypse
Beginner

Postby DeathDreamer16 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 am

Islam is copied. They get almost every scripture from the Bible. It's just a spin-off of Christianity that's why they are so similar. Accept for Islam is violent in most cases. I mean look at Al-Qaeda, and look at church groups.
DeathDreamer16
Beginner

Postby Alexander » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:19 am

devilsadvocate wrote:The words 'peaceful' and 'religion' very rarely go together in my opinion. Ok so the media may be partly to blame for the current hysteria over Islamic suicide bombers, jihads and so on but the fact is Islam is every bit as bad as - just to pluck one random example out of the air - Christianity when it comes to causing wars etc throughout the world. The reason we dont have Christian suicide bombers and crusades going on now is that Christian areas of the world are generally more advanced scientificaly, socially and culturally which has lessened the religious beliefs which are simply not required any more. Islamic areas of the world tend to be far less developed and have alot more suffering which will make people turn to religion for a way out.

Actually wars became less common in Europe after the pagans where replaced with Christianity. And the US has been a very Religious country throwout its existence but the fact that the church is separated from the state has prevented ideological wars (According to Ayn Rand) and for this reason, most of the wars across western world where political, not religious. You cannot say that Americas peaceful state is caused by a lack of religious beliefs, even do it might be true for Europe.

The Catholic Church banned the Bible after Martin Luther's revolts, it was a political body defending its political power.

The recent Great wars where political, not Religious.
Alexander
Beginner

Next

Return to Religion