Ontological Argument

So who is this God person anyway?

Ontological Argument

Postby adman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:23 pm

The ontological argument

1. God is, by definition, a being greater than anything that can be imagined.
2. Existence both in reality and in imagination is greater than existence solely in one's imagination.
3. Therefore, God must exist in reality; if He did not, God would not be a being greater than anything that can be imagined.

This is probably the most ridiculous of all possible arguments for God. He must exist in reality because he exists in imagination is just laughable as an argument for anything and is more a play on words than a genuine attempt to prove the existence of an omnipotent being.

Telological Argument: http://www.argumentclinic.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42
Cosmological Argument: http://www.argumentclinic.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43
adman
Site Admin

Re: Ontological Argument

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:33 pm

I actually really like this argument, it is perfectly logical, easy to sum up and undeniably true. God is the greatest being that could possibly exist, that is our definition of God, he cannot therefore only exist in our imaginations or he would not be the greatest being that could possibly exist.
Simple, logical, accurate.
devilsadvocate
Beginner

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:54 pm

That my friend is true, that's why many saw Xerxes the Persian emperor as God. He was the greatest being they could possibly imagine.
Mike
Beginner

Postby theshoalinstyle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 am

I think reality has two planes, the physical and the spiritual. I think God does exist in reality, but in the spiritual reality. What I'm saying is that there is no place in the Universe where you could go and actually find heaven or God, but that isn't saying God lives in our mind. We are the physical embodiment of our souls and although i believe our souls are within us, I believe our souls are also remain connected with the spiritual reality.
theshoalinstyle
Beginner

Postby theshoalinstyle » Sat May 08, 2010 8:39 am

I'd like to add that while I do believe in God, I think that argument is ridiculous. It makes absolutely no sense, and it contradicts itself. The fact is, no person can prove that God exists, even if they have felt God and know for certain God is real.
theshoalinstyle
Beginner

Return to Religion